Tokyo: Asakusa District 1400-Year History Exploration
- Discover a historic township in the heart of Tokyo with this half-day walking tour
- Join a local guide to see popular landmarks including the Sensoji Temple, the market street of Nakamise-dori, and the Rokku district
- Taste traditional snacks such as Japanese sweets and wander among the bars, boutiques, and snack stands of Rokku
First, get to know Sensoji Temple, Tokyo's essential sightseeing spot. Learn the history and secrets of this ancient place, while participating in the temple and shrine-visiting rituals. You'll have fun drawing a paper fortune. Take a detour into the quiet back streets to pick up some freshly-made 'melon pan' sweet bread, and enjoy it in the shade on the temple grounds.
After that, escape into the 'Rokku' area: Asakusa's traditional entertainment district, always bustling yet rarely busy. Walk through the Meiji period into the present day, with stops along the way for more Japanese sweet snacks. This district of endless novelty — movies, comedians, and exotic animals — became a quaint neighbourhood of handicrafts and nostalgia. Your guide will provide vivid descriptions of its complex, colourful history.
Speaking of your guide, most have gone through a 3-month training course to become fully qualified for guiding this course and they have all passed a rigorous certification process.
- A number of Japanese sweet snacks, (e.g. melon pan, ice cream, and hanami dango — but it's flexible)
- Omikuji (fortune paper)
- A coin so you can enjoy the process of drawing your Japanese fortune
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- People with mobility impairments
Prepare for the activity
Regarding the meeting point (Tokyo Metro Ginza line Asakusa station exit 4), supplier's website has photos and directions you may find helpful. Please be aware that there is an exit A4 connected to Asakusa station on the Toei Asakusa line. The meeting point is NOT there. Please make sure that you are at exit 4 of the GINZA line. You will see Azumabashi (a red bridge) crossing the Sumida River in front of you. If you get lost or have any trouble, you can call the office or mobile number. Supplier office: 03-5830-6790 Guide's mobile number: 080-6723-2421Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Comfortable shoes
• A moderate amount of walking is involved; please choose appropriate footwear
• Operates in all weather conditions; please dress appropriately
• Bottled water is recommended but vending machines are available
• If you have special dietary or accessibility requirements, please contact the supplier and they will do their very best to accommodate you
• Children younger than 6 may join the tour without charge but will not be entitled to inclusions
• Due to the historical focus of the tour, it is recommended for adults, but families are welcome