Vatican City: Small-Group Guided Art Tour
- Receive skip-the-line access to one of the world's great art collections at the Vatican
- Go to the Sistine Chapel to discover Michelangelo's breathtaking frescoes
- See art and architecture by Bernini, Raphael, and Michelangelo
- Discover ancient maps, the "Garden of Italy" and the marvelous St. Peter's Basilica and St. Peter's Square
Following this, enter the Sistine Chapel to see Michelangelo’s famous frescoes. Learn the meanings of his sacred art and their relationship to concepts of beauty. Enter St. Peter's Basilica to see yet more staggering art by Bernini and Michelangelo, before admiring Bernini’s colonnades on St. Peter's Square. Look at the dome of the church and the famous chimney that emits white smoke upon the papal election, and see the balcony of the papal benediction at Urbe et Orbi.
Your guide will talk about the concept of Christianity and the papacy throughout history, and how they have often been apart. You can also hear stories of intrigue and conspiracies in the papal court, displays of power, status, and the wealth of the popes. Your guide will also tell you of modest popes, who wanted nothing else than quiet contemplation and a return to the original concept of Christianity.
- Skip-the-line tickets
- Licensed, local guide
- Headsets to better hear your guide
- Wheelchair users
Prepare for the activity
Meet at "Caffe Vaticano" (close to the steps). Address: Viale Vaticano 100. A 15-minute walk from St. Peter's Square and metro stop A / Ottaviano. So not on the St. Peter's Square! The guide is recognizable by the sign "GUIDE ROME-LC INCOMING" Mobile: +393382653135Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Comfortable shoes
- Luggage or large bags