Explore the mountain temple of Phnom Bok in the Eastern Baray. See the temple of Yasovarman who later moved his capital to Angkor. Bearing a strong resemblance to Angkor Wat, it is one of Cambodia’s great temple treasures.
About this activity
Duration 7 hours
Printed or mobile voucher accepted
Pick-up to your hotel
Cancel up to 24 hours in advance for a full refund
Select date and participants:
Explore one of the lesser visited temples of Angkor
Climb the 640 steps to Banteay Samre
See magnificent views of the Kulen Mountains
Get round-trip transfers from Siem Reap
Enjoy the services of a private guide
This full-day tour takes you to Banteay Samre to visit one of the superb Hindu temples of the Khmer rulers, Suryavarman II and Yasovarman II.
Constructed in the mid 9th-Century, very few tours visit the temple as it involves climbing up 640 steps of a steep mountain. But the view from the top is magical and offers 360-degree views of Angkor Wat and the Kulen Mountains.
Ideal for adventure travelers with a moderate level of fitness, the tour takes you to Phnom Bok Mountain, approximately 12 miles (20 kilometers) from Siem Reap.
On the way, you will make a detour to Banteay Samre. The style of the towers and balustrades of the Hindu temple bear strong resemblance to those at Angkor Wat, and even more so to the temples of Phimai in Thailand. Many of its carvings are in excellent condition.
Proceed to the base of Phnom Bok and climb to the top of the hill to a very flat summit. Here you can enjoy views of the ivy clad sandstone temples that date back to the 9th-Century. The area was once occupied by the Khmer Rouge and old artillery guns and machine guns still in place serve as a reminder.
The tour departs Siem Reap daily at 08:00, and includes a free lunch before you return to Siem Reap in the afternoon.
Hotel pick-up and drop off
Local English-speaking guide
Transport by air-conditioned minivan/tuk tuk
What’s Not Included
Temple Pass ($37 for 1-day, $62 for 3-day, $72 for 7-day - valid for 1 month)
When you get there
Know before you go
• Discounts: Children under 5 are free and kids 10 and under are half price
• Children must be accompanied by an adult
• Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
• Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
• Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
• Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
• Both male and female visitors to the Temple are advised to cover up to their elbows and knees or risk refusal of entry, due to the complex being a highly religious site