San Francisco City Tour with Visit to Alcatraz
Pickup includedPick-up will be from your hotel in San Francisco. If you stay outside San Francisco city limits pick-up is at the Handlery Hotel Union Square 351 Geary Street.
- Take a tour of San Francisco and admire the famous and picturesque Golden Gate Bridge, an engineering marvel of its time
- Visit the popular Civic Center, with the city's largest government and cultural institutions
- Pass through Alamo Square, the famous residential neighborhood
- See Twin Peaks, the two hills with a spectacular view of the city at an elevation of 922 feet (281 meters)
- Stop at the exquisite Palace of Fine Arts built in 1915 for the Panama-Pacific Expositionan, and the War Memorial Opera House
- Take a ferry to legendary Alcatraz Island, once referred as "The Rock", the historic maximum security penitentiary
Your guide will pick you up from your hotel to start this 7-hour tour (3.5-hour City Tour and approximately 3.5-hour visit of Alcatraz). Start with a walk to admire the picturesque Golden Gate Bridge, with its postcard-perfect views of the city. Then, visit the Beaux Arts-style Civic Center and the famous Opera House.
From there, take in great views of the Twin Peaks, the highest points in the city and check out Alamo square, a residential district best known for its Postcard Row: this stunning view includes a beautiful look at seven "Painted Ladies" and the city skyline.
At the end of the tour you will be dropped off at Pier 33, Hornblower Alcatraz Landing, where you can pick up your Alcatraz Island ferry tickets at the Prepaid Ticketbooth. Pier 33 is at the foot of Bay Street on the Embarcadero.
There is a separate line for guests who have already purchased their tickets and you must present your passport or a valid photo identification.
Alcatraz and history go hand-in-hand. Once home to some of America's most notorious criminals, the federal penitentiary that operated here from 1934 to 1963 brought a dark mystique to the Rock. The presence of infamous inmates like Al "Scarface" Capone, and the "Birdman" Robert Stroud helped to establish the island's notoriety.
To this day, Alcatraz is best known as one of the world's most legendary prisons. Discover the unique history of the island and get an in-depth look at San Francisco.
- Admission to Alcatraz Island
- Hotel pick-up
- Narrated tour
- Ferry tickets
- Transfer back to hotel
- Food and drink
Prepare for the activity
- Comfortable shoes
• At Alcatraz Island: the Cellhouse audio tour is available in: Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish
• The face value of the Alcatraz ticket is $39.90
• Service not available from hotels/residences located outside San Francisco city center
• You must provide the name of all participants during booking in order to receive Alcatraz tickets. If incomplete information is provided you will not get tickets, nor receive a refund