Te Puia Guided Tour, Lunch & Optional Cultural Performance
- Explore Te Puia Maori Village on an extended guided tour with an experienced local Maori guide
- Visit geothermal wonders, meet the iconic kiwi and learn about fascinating Maori history and traditions
- Discover the distinctive flavors and unique preparation of a traditionally-cooked steam box lunch
- Enjoy a hands-on weaving experience at Te Puia's national weaving school
Begin by selecting the raw ingredients for your steam box lunch. It will be prepared over the naturally occurring hot-water steam vents, an ancient Maori cooking technique. The steam box lunch selection includes chicken, corn, kumara, pumpkin, potato, cabbage, watercress and gourmet bread stuffing, as well as a bottle of water.
Then, set off on a 2.5-hour guided tour to gain insight into traditional Maori customs. Check out traditional artwork, try your hand at flax-weaving during an expert demonstration, listen to Maori legends told by your guide and explore Maori customs via interactive galleries at the Te Whare Tapere meeting house.
Adjust your eyes in the Kiwi House, a specially lit nocturnal enclosure, for a look at New Zealand's national native bird. Walk past geothermal springs, bubbling mud pools, and the Pohutu Geyser. See your lunch emerge from the Nga Wha steam vent. Relax as you enjoy your meal and watch the geyser’s daily eruption at the end of your tour.
- Entry ticket to Te Puia
- 1.5-hour guided small-group tour
- Professional guide
- Flax weaving workshop
- Steambox lunch and bottle of water
- Complimentary onsite WiFi
- Hotel pick-up and drop off
- Additional food and drinks
Prepare for the activity
State Highway 5, Hemo Road, Rotorua, New Zealand. There is plenty of free car parking onsite and the Rotorua bus route 11 runs from the i-SITE information centre on Arawa Street in Rotorua CBD to Te Puia. Bus tickets can be purchased from the i-SITE.Open in Google Maps ⟶
• Te Puia opening hours are from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM daily and you can use the included day pass to explore at your leisure
• Te Puia is open in all weather so please wear weather appropriate clothing and bring a jacket or umbrella, just in case