Rome: Catacombs and Crypts Small Group Minibus Tour
- Explore the crypts and catacombs of the early Christians in Rome
- Step back in time at the 'Lasagne Church' San Nicola in Carcere
- See the bones of 4,000 monks, embedded in the walls of the "Bone Chapel"
- Wander the labyrinthine Roman Catacombs of the early Christians
Your guide will take you to 3 memorable sites, each revealing the extraordinary secrets of Ancient Rome. They include the labyrinthine Roman Catacombs that were part burial ground and part refuge for the persecuted early Christians of Ancient Rome.
Visit the Capuchin Crypt, known locally as the “Bone Chapel,” and marvel at the walls, decorated with the bones more than 4,000 monks.
Finally, you’ll visit one of Rome’s hidden treasures. The Basilica of San Nicola in Carcere is a voyage both below ground and back in time, but this basilica is so much more historically important. It was built in the 10th century on the site of three temples dating back to the 1st century BC, which themselves were at the heart of an Ancient Roman fruit and vegetable market dating to the 4th century BC. Much of the original temples, including their marble columns, were built into the structure of the existing basilica but left exposed, so when you visit today you can literally descend through the levels of time.
- Entrance to the Rome Catacombs, San Nicola in Carcere, and Capuchin Crypt
- Transfers between sites by air-conditioned bus
- Hotel pick-up/drop off
Prepare for the activity
Meet on Piazza Barberini, by Bernini's Triton Fountain in the middle of the square. If you are traveling by public transport, take the Metro to "Barberini" (2 stops west of Rome Termini)Open in Google Maps ⟶
• Due to their holy nature, photography is not allowed at the sites visited
• Unfortunately it is not possible to accommodate guests with mobility impairments, wheelchairs or strollers on this tour
• San Nicola, the last site visited, is subject to closures during special celebrations/festivities, including the Easter ceremonies. If this occurs during your visit, an alternative itinerary will be provided