Rome: Nero's Golden House Underground Tour and Colosseum
- Explore Nero's buried "Golden House" at the Domus Aurea
- Experience the Golden Vault Room in virtual reality
- Visit the first and second levels of the Colosseum
- Take a tour of the legendary Palatine Hill where Rome began
- Visit the Roman Forum and walk along the Via Sacra
Join a guide and a small group of no more than 12 people to explore the Colosseum, built by the Emperor Vespasian on top of Nero’s palace with the intent of pushing his predecessor into oblivion. Access different areas of this mighty symbol of Rome, including the upstairs tiers where the crowds would sit to watch the blood-curdling gladiatorial spectacles.
Next, go to the Roman Forum and walk along the Via Sacra to reach the very heart of the ancient capital and see the remains of the main religious and political buildings. Venture to Palatine Hill at the conclusion of your tour and discover where the she-wolf nursed the founders of the “Eternal City” in an area later favored by Rome’s richest families as a place to build their luxury villas.
After a short break continue with a virtual reality experience at Nero’s “Golden House” using 3D glasses on a unique tour of the Domus Aurea. Visit the room of the Golden Vault and see it in all its magnificent splendor, just as it was when it was built. Admire the exterior of Nero's palace and build a detailed idea of it was like during the Roman Empire from its luxurious terrace.
Tour in a small group of no more than 24 people, led by the official archaeologist of the Domus Aurea, as you journey through the frescoed corridors and nympheums of the emperor's private residence. See the Octagonal Room, Cryptoporticus, Nympheum of Polyphemus and more. Enter the famous Golden Vault with your 3D glasses to get an all-round sense of Nero’s power.
- Skip-the-Line entrance tickets to all sites
- 3D glasses
Prepare for the activity
Largo Gaetana Agnesi, by the large red "M" sign just outside the "Colosseum" metro station (upper level). Please note that there are 2 exits/entrances at the station, one at street level and the other at the upper level. You want the upper level exit/entrance.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Passport or ID card
- Luggage or large bags
• Please carry a valid form of photo ID with you: copy or photo of original document is allowed
• This tour does not accommodate people with limited mobility or walking difficulties due to uneven surfaces and steep stairs along the way
• Visitors must pass through metal detectors at the security checkpoint. Liquids/sprays are prohibited from entering, as well as knives and weapons of self-defence
• As this tour takes place outdoors, comfortable footwear is recommended and participants are expected to take weather appropriate precautions
• Part of this tour is located underground, therefore it is recommended to bring along a sweater/jumper
• Water bottles can be refilled along the route at the public water fountains
• Backpacks and large bags are not permitted inside the Colosseum, and there is no cloakroom service at the site
• This tour requires a moderate/advanced level of fitness