Colosseum Underground: Priority Access Guided Tour
- Get exclusive access to the underground corridors of the Colosseum
- Walk along the Via Sacra of the Roman Forum
- Enjoy panoramic views from Palatine Hill
- Discover where the gladiators prepared for their fights and caged animals were kept
- Take a comprehensive tour of all levels of the Colosseum
- See some of the oldest ruins of the Roman Republic
- Get a deeper insight into the culture, laws, and traditions of Ancient Rome
Due to health and safety regulations, this itinerary may change. See Know before you go for the latest updates.
Your first stop is the Colosseum Underground – the backstage area where gladiators prepared for battle. Here, your expert, English-speaking guide will call on their historical and archaeological expertise to let you imagine the space as it once was. Scenery and caged wild animals stood ready to be hoisted into the arena by ingenious pulleys. You’ll practically feel the gladiators’ tense anticipation and hear the roar of the blood-thirsty crowd.
Then, you’ll walk in the gladiators’ footsteps on a partially reconstructed arena stage – a unique and amazing photo opportunity. And unlike the gladiators, you’ll get to ascend from the Arena Floor to the Colosseum’s second tier, where fans cheered the violent spectacles below.
The next stop on the tour takes you back to the very beginning. The Palatine Hill is the spot Romulus chose to find the city that would become Rome in 753 BC – a decision that ended in tragedy for his brother Remus. Here, steeped in history, you’ll enjoy a spectacular preview of your next destination: The Roman Forum.
The Forum and the Via Sacra, the Sacred Way, were the heart of Ancient Rome. All of Roman life could be found in this bustling marketplace: commerce and trade, political rallies, military parades, and the sacred ceremonies of the Vestal Virgins.
- English-speaking guide
- Skip-the-line access to the Colosseum
- Access to the arena floor and underground tunnels
- Skip-the-line access to the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill
- Entrance tickets for the Colosseum, Roman Forum, and Palatine Hill (including reservation fees)
- Hotel pick-up and drop off
- People with mobility impairments
- Wheelchair users
Prepare for the activity
Meet your guide above the 2nd floor of the Metro stop "Colosseo" (Line B/Blue Line). Your guide will be wearing a blue "City Wonders/Guideman" polo shirt or jacket for easy recognition. Largo Gaetana Agnesi, 00184 Roma RM, ItalyOpen in Google Maps ⟶
- Passport or ID card
- Comfortable shoes
- Baby strollers
- Luggage or large bags
• Please note that this tour involves a fair amount of walking. Comfortable shoes are recommended
• Regrettably, guests in wheelchairs, or with any impairment requiring special assistance cannot be accommodated. The tour is also unable to accommodate strollers or baby carriages
• Please be at the meeting point 15 minutes before departure. Guests arriving after departure cannot be accommodated and missed tours or tickets cannot be refunded
• Large bags or suitcases will not be permitted in the Colosseum or Roman Forum, and there are no cloakroom facilities for storage
• Extra measures may be implemented at some venues due to heightened global security. Delays may be experienced.