Catacombs & St John in Lateran Combo Tour
- Discover the Holy Stairs and the Sancta Sanctorum, the private Chapel of the Pope until the Renaissance period
- Visit the underground burial chambers of early Christians in Rome
- Learn about the ancient Cloister of St John's Basilica with a multilingual audioguide
You can then complete your tour by visiting the building of the Holy Stairs, located on the right of the basilica, and admire the original private papal Chapel of the Sancta Sanctorum. If you only have one hour, you can visit the basilica and its cloister first, followed by the Holy Stairs and Sancta Sanctorum.
Then, take a 20-minute ride on a public bus (ticket not included) to reach the Catacombs, near beautiful historic Appian Way. Once there, enjoy a guided tour with an expert local guide. Hear about how the oldest nuclei of the Roman Catacombs date back to the end of the second century and how the catacombs were built underground with tunnels on various levels to solve the problem of space.
- Guided tour and entrance ticket to the Catacombs of St. Callixtus
- Multilingual audioguide and entrance ticket to St. John in Lateran Basilica, Cloister, Baptistery, Holy Stairs and Sancta Sanctorum
- Public bus ticket
Prepare for the activity
Please exchange your voucher for both attractions (St. John Basilica and the Catacombs) at the information point OMNIA Vatican & Rome in St John Basilica. After security check, turn right at the Holy Door and you will find the office.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Passport or ID card
- Comfortable shoes
- Food and drinks
- Sleeveless shirts