Lonely Planet Experiences: Sugarloaf Mountain and Urca Tour
- Explore the lovely neighborhood of Urca where Rio de Janeiro was founded
- Enjoy a refreshing beer at a local hotspot
- Savor some delicious empadinhas from a local vendor
- Ride the cable car up Sugarloaf Mountain and get an amazing view of Guanabara Bay
Discover where the city of Rio de Janeiro started on an amazing tour of the Urca neighborhood. Ride the subway with your guide to Botafogo to experience how the locals get around. Hop off at Urca Beach and stroll along the coast to a favorite hotspot at the Urca Wall. Grab a beer and taste some of the city's legendary stuffed empadinhas.
Stroll around the historic district and see some of the original houses. Head to Red Beach and stop at the Claudio Coutinho walking path that leads hikers to the top of Sugarloaf Mountain — don't worry; you’ll take the cable car up the mountain instead!
Break the journey at Urca Hill and get a breathtaking view of the Botafogo inlet down below. Proceed to the second cable car for another ride to reach the summit. Take some time to soak up the 360-degree views before coming back down to earth.
- Local, English-speaking guide
- Cable car fee up Sugarloaf Mountain
- Food and drinks
Prepare for the activity
• If the cable car is not available at Sugarloaf Mountain for any reason, your entrance fee will be refunded
• Wear light, comfortable clothes for walking
• Bring a hat and sunscreen
• This is a child-friendly tour. Children under 6 years old are welcome to join