From Reykjavik: 6-Hour Þórsmörk Hiking Paradise Tour
- Explore Stakkholtsgjá Canyon, reaching almost two kilometers into the landscape
- Cross glacial rivers to reach your destinations
- Visit the hidden gem Þórsmörk to hike and enjoy the natural birch forest
You can choose between three destinations in Þórsmörk: Stakkholtsgjá Canyon, Básar or Húsadalur. You will be crossing some smaller glacial rivers and to get to Húsadalur, you will be crossing the fierce river Krossá. You will have roughly 6-hours in Þórsmörk to explore. There are various hiking trails to choose between, short and longer ones. Hiking maps will be sold in the bus.
Stakkholtsgjá Canyon reaches almost two km into the landscape, at its deepest 100 meters. To reach the end of the canyon, you need to wade through a small river but it is worth it to view the small spring waterfall there. It takes approximately 1.5-hours to walk to the canyon and back. From Stakkholtsgjá, it is an hours walk into Básar and into Húsadalur.
In Básar, there are many lovely hiking trails. There is also a cabin there but no shops or restaurants. The three most popular paths are the following:
- the circular Básar walk is an easy walk. Start the walk outside of the attendant's cabin and return down the wooden steps behind the hut (1 – 1.5-hours)
- walk up Strákagil Canyon and back (2.5– 3-hours)
- hike up Réttarfell Mountain (1.5 – 2-hours – longer if you hike the full circle through Álfakirkja)
From Básar, it is an hours walk into Langidalur and from there, a little over an hour to Húsadalur.
At the stop in Húsadalur, stop at the Volcano Huts. At LavaGrill Restaurant & Bar, you can buy lunch or get a lunch package to take with you on the hike. For a small fee, you can also use the LavaSPA, showers, sauna and a small man-made geothermally heated pool. The water is around 32°C or 90°F. For complete relaxation, you can also book a massage.
There are many good hiking trails in Húsadalur such as the following:
- the Panorama Trail with a 360° view of Þórsmörk (1.5- 2-hours)
- the Highlights Trail takes you to the best views of Þórsmörk (3- 4-hours)
- Merkurrani Plateau Trail with views over the Krossá River, Eyjafjallajökull and the surrounding mountains of Þórsmörk. You should also make a short stop at the Sóttarhellir Cave (2- 3-hours)
All passengers who want to start from Hella, Hvolsvöllur or Seljalandsfoss to Þórsmörk need to book 24-hours before departure.
Please note, hiking maps are sold at the Sterna Travel front desk in Harpa and our bus stop in Hella.
- Coach transportation
- Foods and drinks
Prepare for the activity
You have the option to start from Harpa concert hall in downtown Reykjavik at 07:15 AM (bus lane beside the building) or at Reykjavik campsite at 07:30 AM. Please be there at least 10 minutes before departure.Open in Google Maps ⟶