Oxford: Scenic Sightseeing Cruise with Gourmet Picnic
- Enjoy a 2.5-hour river cruise to see the sights from a new perspective
- Take in stunning river scenery including Christ Church College and Meadows the University Boat Houses and Historic Port Meadow
- Pass through a Thames lock and take a break at an 800-year-old riverside inn
- Dine from a generous picnic hamper
Port Meadow, a vast area of common land, has remained little changed since prehistoric times and supports plants and bird-life in abundance. At the top of Port Meadow is Godstow. Godstow was the ultimate destination of Alice Liddell and Lewis Carroll when they followed an identical route to this trip while composing 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'. It is also the site of Trout Island, an inspiration for another of Oxfords literary icons, C S Lewis, and his stories of the land of Narnia.
Your picnic lunch is provided by riverside restaurant, The Folly, and typically includes:
• An selection of finger sandwiches
• Homemade quiche or tart of the day
• Homemade scones with strawberry jam, clotted cream and fresh strawberries
• Elderflower presse
Served in a traditional picnic basket with napkins, crockery and glasses (to be returned to the crew at the end of the cruise).
Drinks to take aboard can be purchased at the departure point.
- Picnic lunch
- 2.5-hour cruise
- Hotel pick-up
Prepare for the activity
- Luggage or large bags
• The picnic contents may differ depending on availability
• Advance booking is essential