New York City: World Trade Center at Twilight
- See the 9/11 Memorial in the early evening when it is less crowded
- Learn about the events that occured on September 11th
- See the new World Trade Center
- Visit and explore the stunning new Oculus Building
After a short discussion, you'll move onto the site to see the completed construction and rebirth of the World Trade Center. You will enter the Oculus, the new transportation hub on the site. Emerging from the Oculus, you will proceed over to the Fireman's Memorial to pay your respect to the brave, selfless fireman and other first responders that paid the ultimate price for their heroism on the 11th.
From there, you will cross Greenwich Street and set foot for the first time on the memorial grounds. There you will stand at the parapet surrounding the waterfall where tower #2 stood. Incised into the bronze tablets that surround the memorial pool are the names of the people murdered on that day in the second tower. Your guide will explain what you are seeing, and will add her or his personal story to the experience.
You will then walk over to to the survivor tree and learn how this lone tree symbolizes the resilience and rebirth of the city and the World Trade Center site. Near the survivor tree, a new memorial is being constructed to honor the sacrifices of the first responders. From that point, you'll head over to the memorial pool where tower #1 stood. Again, you will see the names of some of the 2,996 people murdered in the attacks.
With your guide, you'll then cross West Street and enter Brookfield Place, where you'll be first surprised by the sixteen tall washingtonia palm trees standing in the atrium. There is much to be said about this space, and your guide will explain how it was affected by the attacks. Afterwards, without leaving the atrium, you will walk into the American Express Building to see the Memorial of the Eleven Tears which honors the employees of Amex who perished on the 94th floor of the north tower. It is there that your tour will conclude.
- Fully guided walking tour of the 9/11 Memorial grounds
- Museum or observatory tickets
Prepare for the activity
• Restrooms are available at regular intervals
• There are many dining options both in Brookfield Place and in the Oculus, you might wish to stay after the tour and explore them on your own (your guide will be glad to assist you in navigating the site or perhaps returning to your hotel)