Tonga Marine Reserve: Kayak Experience
- Enjoy a guided full-day kayak experience near Abel Tasman National Park
- Relax on a return sea shuttle cruise into the centre of the Tonga Island Marine Reserve
- Explore the Tonga Island Marine Reserve and paddle near local fur seals
- See the beautiful Onetahuti Beach, Tonga Arches, Bark Bay, Pinnacle Island, Anchorage Bay, and Torrent Bay
Enjoy a scenic cruise to Onetahuti Beach aboard the Abel Tasman Sea Shuttle. Paddling offshore, head out to Tonga Island to see the seals. The local partner holds a marine mammal permit and can get you as close as 20 meters to the fur seals at Tonga Island.
Make your way back along the coast, with over 50 kilometers of coastline offers dozens of golden sand beaches to visit, as well as numerous coves and lagoons that provide plenty of interesting nooks and crannies to explore. Sea kayaking here also opens up a world of sea and bird life encounters.
Pause for a well-deserved 'kiwi-style' lunch on a spectacular beach, before floating into Falls River lagoon (winds and tides permitting) for some great photo opportunities. The day will wrap up with you slowly making your way down to Anchorage where the Sea Shuttle will arrive to collect you, and you also have the opportunity to enjoy a walk after your tour.
- Round-trip scenic sea shuttle cruise tickets (1-hour each way)
- 4.5-hour guided sea kayaking experience
- All kayaking equipment including a dry bag for electronic equipment
- Packed lunch
- Department of Conservation concession fees
Prepare for the activity
3 Kaiteriteri-Sandy Bay Road, Kaiteriteri, New Zealand. Located at Kaiteriteri Beach, the office is between the Kai Restaurant and the Kaiteriteri store midway along the beach. There is all day free car parking on the left-hand side as you cross over the bridge arriving into Kaiteriteri.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Comfortable shoes
- Sun hat
• Please advise any dietary requirements.
• A complimentary bus transfer from Nelson/Motueka can be arranged, contact the local operator at least 48-hours prior to the tour departure to coordinate.
• Bring a hat, sunscreen, insect repellent, warm top, t-shirt, shorts, swimsuit, wind jacket, walking shoes/sandals, camera, change of clothes, water, and additional snack food if desired.