Medellín: City Essentials and Historic Tour
- See incredible 360 degree views of Medellin and the Aburrá Valley
- Hear the history of Medellin while exploring the city
- Get off the beaten track neighborhoods
- Admire murals and graffiti showing the city's urban transformation
- Walk around Medellin’s downtown (El Centro)
- Discover some of Medellin’s most traditional parks, squares and streets
After taking in breathtaking views you'll travel by bus to Medellin's downtown. Here you will learn about the rich history and culture of Medellinas as you walk through Botero Plaza, Park Bolivar Plaza, Parque Berrio, the pedestrian street of La Junin, and San Antonio. Visit the sculpture garden of Colombia's most renowned artist, Botero, and take in the energy and vibrant street life of the downtown area. Browse the thousands of shops and street vendors and take the opportunity to try some exotic Colombian fruit and local food from street vendors.
Next you will board the train and travel through some of the oldest, most representative neighborhoods of Medellin, such as Buenos Aires. Leave the train for a guided walking tour and witness how the public transportation system in Medellin transformed this area into a vibrant, middle class neighborhood teaming with cafes, eateries, shopping centers, and bakeries. Along this route you will see the outdoor gallery of more than 30 murals and graffiti that the city of Medellin commissioned to tell the urban story of transformation and change the city has seen.
Take the cable car to the very outskirts of Medellin to areas that were inaccessible to outsiders until recently. You will learn the violent history of these neighborhoods and how the cable car system, the first ever of its kind to be used as mass transportation, transformed violent, lawless areas of Medellin into tranquil, beautiful neighborhoods integrated into the greater Medellin area.
- Public transportation fares
- Spanish and English-speaking tour guide
- Travel insurance
- Food and drinks
- People with mobility impairments
Prepare for the activity
El Parque del Poblado. Meet your guide on 9th Street at the side of the park. The tour guide will be holding up a sign that says, "Discover Medellin." The tour guide will be wearing an orange shirt and blue pants.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Passport or ID card
- Comfortable shoes
- Weather-appropriate clothing
• Please bring your ID or passport
• Please bring sunscreen, comfortable shoes, and an umbrella as the weather can change without notice
• Tour operates in all weather conditions