Christchurch: Rock Climbing with Guide, Lunch, and Transport
Pickup optionalFrom any hotel within 3.5 km of Christchurch city center. The car/minivan is branded and your guide will be wearing a branded uniform.
- Discover some of the best rock climbing in New Zealand
- Test your skills on the Port Hills overlooking Christchurch and Lyttelton Harbour
- Explore the historic port town of Lyttelton on the way to the climbing areas
Leaving Lyttelton, the road ascends steeply up Evans Pass affording views of Lyttelton Harbour and the busy port below. Just 15 minutes from Lyttelton, near the top of the Port Hills, is Cattlestop Crag and other pop-up climbing areas. Your guide will set up some suitable rock climbs for the group and, before anyone starts climbing, you'll have a safety briefing and learn you how to use the equipment.
Once everyone has got the hang of the system, your guide will continue to set up appropriately challenging climbs. With over 2,000 climbing routes in Christchurch, there are plenty of options no matter what your level of experience.
Take a break to enjoy picnic-style lunch overlooking Christchurch or Lyttelton depending on the climbing area used. After lunch, your guide will set up an abseil for you to try lowing yourself down from the top of a cliff. After the abseil, your guide will take you to another crag in the local area for another abseil or more climbing.
Leaving the crag at around 4 PM, you’ll get back into Christchurch around 4:45 PM where your guide will drop you back at your hotel or at the meeting point outside Canterbury Museum.
- Qualified local climbing guide
- All climbing equipment (climbing shoes, harness, helmet, chalk)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off from central Christchurch (optional)
- Return transportation from meeting point in Christchurch (optional)
- Picnic-style lunch
- Tea, coffee, and water
- People with back problems
- People with mobility impairments
- People over 264 lbs (120 kg)
Prepare for the activity
Directly outside the Canterbury Museum, Rolleston Avenue, Christchurch Central City, Christchurch 8013, New Zealand at 9 AM. You will be collected by a white branded car or minivan and your guide will be wearing a branded uniform.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Weather-appropriate clothing
- Closed-toe shoes
• Long pants are recommended
• The areas used have climbs ranging from very, very easy to extremely hard
• This tour may be held at an alternative climbing area than described in windy or cold weather conditions
• There is limited access to toilets at the climbing areas (15 minutes walk away)
• In poor weather conditions, you will be offered a place on another active day tour running on the same day or another day