Cheleiros and Bucelas Wine Tasting Tour from Lisbon
Pickup includedPick-up from your hotel or the cruise ship terminal in Lisbon
- Taste the wines of Portugal's Cheleiros and Bucelas wine lands
- Discover the "Prince of Portuguese Wines" at the Quinta da Murta in Bucelas
- Visit 2 different wine cellars to sample a variety of Portuguese wines
- Sample local breads and olive oils
- Hear stories about Vasco de Gama and the trade routes from India
- Learn about a wine that was long thought to be extinct
- Marvel at the picturesque villages and vineyards north of Lisbon
Following a pick-up from your hotel or the cruise ship terminal in Lisbon, transfer to Cheleiros, and discover an old parish that dates back to 1304. Hear about some of the prehistoric communities and past civilizations, such as the Romans, that used to live in the village. Then, taste some of the regional wines, such as those produced by the small producer, ManzWines.
In order to restore wine activity to the region, the ManzWines family use traditional Portuguese grape varieties, such as the unique Jampal grapes that produce a white wine thought to be extinct. Taste 6 different wines from regions that range from Lisbon to the Douro and Península de Setúbal, and sample local olive oils and traditional bread along the way.
Then, go to Quinta da Murta in Bucelas to discover the “Prince of Portuguese Wine.” Savor the famous dry white wine produced from the Arinto grape, 1st introduced to the region by the Romans over 2,000 years ago. For many centuries, it was the only white wine produced in Portugal. Taste 3 different wines from this region as you hear how the Portuguese sailors of Vasco de Gama’s flagship “São Gabriel” enjoyed a great Bucelas wine following their return to Lisbon after discovering the trade routes to India.
Along the way, marvel at the picturesque villages, and learn the history of the region.
- Pick-up and drop off at your hotel or the cruise ship terminal in Lisbon
- Transportation by air-conditioned car or van
- Entrance fees
- Wine, olive oil, and traditional bread tastings
- Private guide
- Any other item or service not mentioned in "what's included"
- Wheelchair users
Prepare for the activity
• Please note that if you are on a shore excursion from the cruise port, the tour times are flexible