Kyoto: Evening Culture & History Tour with a Local
- Experience the magic of Kyoto after dark
- Look out for the different types of geisha in the fabled geisha district
- Visit local spots that most tourists miss such as the Yasui Konpira-gu Shrine
- Stroll past the historic wooden walls and lanterns of Yasaka, to the bustle of Karasuma’s local bars
- Sample tasty snacks as you soak up the lively local atmosphere
Escape the crowds and venture through the backstreets to arrive at Yasaka Shrine. Marvel as it is brought to life by the bright lights and buzzing crowds. Continue to the north part of Gion to find narrow streets lined with smaller and more modern clubs and bars that contrast with the Old Town. Cross the Kamo River and get a sprawling view of the restaurant district before entering the entertainment district of Pontocho, lit by traditional Japanese lanterns.
Go to the Teramachi arcade, where merchants sell everything from Manga comic books to statues of ancient gods and high-quality sushi knives. End with a visit to the Nishiki food market to check out a tachinomiya (stand-up only bar) popular with the locals.
- Local English-speaking guide
- Traditional Japanese snacks and drinks
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Additional food and drinks
- Tips/gratuities for your guide
Prepare for the activity
Meet at the entrance to the Gion Corner theater, Hanamikoji Dori, 570-2 Gionmachi Minamigawa, Higashiyama-ku ward, Kyoto. Directions: The meeting point is 4 blocks from the intersection of Shijo-Street and Hanamikoji-Street. Hnamikoji-Street is 2 blocks east from Shijo-Ohashi Bridge. Take the city bus to Shijo Kawaramachi, the Hankyu railway to Kawaramachi Station, exit 1 (10-minute walk) or the Keihan railway to Gion-shijō Station, exit 6, (5-minute walk). From JR Kyoto Station it is an approximately 25-minute journey or about 15 minutes by taxi.Open in Google Maps ⟶
• You must be at least 20 years old to take part