Lonely Planet Experiences: Istanbul Market Tour and Picnic
- Eat like a local and sample delicious Turkish cuisine from trusted street stalls
- Experience the bustling atmosphere of the Spice Bazaar
- Cross continents with a ferry ride across the Bosphorus to Asia
- Take a stroll along the scenic Üsküdar waterfront
Kick off your 3.5-hour Istanbul food and picnic tour in front of the impressive Spice Bazaar. Wander the perimeter of the bazaar and taste pastirma (Turkish dried beef), local cheeses, and Turkish delight from the shops of long-established sweet makers.
As you wander past street stalls and through markets your local guide will buy foods for you to sample and treats to take with you on your journey to Asia. Depending on the season, you may be sampling different local items, including fresh nuts, pastirma, halva, olives, traditional Turkish cheeses, and simit.
After you finish you shopping at the market, you’ll take the ferry to Üsküdar, where you’ll enjoy a stroll along the waterfront on the Asian side of Istanbul. Stop at a popular local tea spot for a view of the Maiden’s Tower and the Bosphorus. Enjoy tea and Turkish delight and learn about popular foods and traditions in Turkey.
Afterwards you’ll return by metro to the port of Eminönü, where your guide will give you directions for getting back to your hotel and offer some recommendations for the evening.
- Local English-speaking guide
- Street stall food
- Ferry to Üsküdar
- Traditional yogurt drink or tea
- Extra food and drinks
- Tip/gratuity for your local guide
Prepare for the activity
This is a child-friendly tour. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour.