Granada: Andalusian Jails Walk
- Walk through the gardens of the Carmen de los Mártires
- Learn of the rich history of these grounds
- View the underground galleries
Throughout your tour, you will see those remnants that still remain of that immense enclosure. For this, you have access to one of the few underground galleries that remain standing and are available to be visited. This space is inside the Rodríguez Acosta Foundation, which thanks to the architectural project of the painter José María Rodríguez-Acosta, has been preserved.
These galleries were part of this penitentiary, but its origin goes back centuries. The rest of your visit will continue through the exterior of this wide hill until you reach the Carmen de los Mártires. The Carmen maintains a close relationship with the context of the visit, whose details will be revealed during the itinerary. Nowadays, it conserves a house of historicist origin and French-style gardens that hide in some of its room the remains of the old monastery. In that place, San Juan de la Cruz wrote "The Dark Night of the Soul", and it is said that he planted a tree that still stands somewhere within the immense grove.
- Monument pass
- Official guided tour
Prepare for the activity
- Comfortable shoes
• You can only visit the underground galleries (if you wish to visit the Carmen of the Rodríguez-Acosta Foundation, it is recommended to take a separate guided tour)
• Please wear comfortable footwear and to bring water during the warmer seasons