Funchal: Old Town Walking Tour
- Take a guided walk through the medieval center of Funchal
- Hear about the history of Funchal and Madeira from your guide
- Explore the city's medieval heart
Travel down the 19th century public walkway between the Municipal Theatre and the Cathedral, where sugarcane was first planted in Madeira, during the 15th century.
Explore the city’s medieval heart dating from the Golden Age of Sugar and discover the beautiful 17th century religious monuments.
Visit the ruins of the old Pilory Square and other remnants from past floods and the area damaged by the Great Fire of Funchal in 1584.
This tour helps to support students at the University of Madeira who are facing financial difficulties.
- Guided walking tour
- Hotel pick-up and drop off
- Food and beverages
- Any personal expenses
Prepare for the activity
- Comfortable shoes
- Luggage or large bags
• Be sure to wear comfortable shoes
• The History Tellers tours are 2 hours long, starting at 10:00 AM, 12:00 PM, 2:00 PM, or 4:00 PM, Monday to Friday. They are available in Portuguese, English, French, German, and Spanish