Florence Food Market: 2-Hour Walking Tour at Sant’Ambrogio
- Explore Florence’s most vibrant market
- Try a mouth-watering assortment of local foods
- Experience Florence like a local through its food culture
- Meet local food experts and growers and find out about how some of these delicious products are grown, made and or produced
You’ll make stops at local farmers’ stands and check out fresh buffalo mozzarella, ricotta, and other cheeses at an artisanal cheese store owned by a brother/sister duo. This is one of the few places left in Florence where you can still buy the ancient grain bread of montespertoli (your guide will explain). Check out C BIO, an organic farm to table store, created by a famous Florentine Chef Fabio Picchi whose famous Cibreo cafe, restaurant and theatre are all situated in this district.
Fresh pasta is next and we’ll take you to a market stall that offers 15 different types daily, all made fresh on the premises. Here you’ll learn about our regional pastas including ravioli, pici & tortelli and you’ll see the wonderful homemade sauces that pair perfectly with each type of pasta.
After the pasta maker head to meet the baker to try some of the best fried polenta and coccole in town. A coccole is a savoury donut typically served with stracchino creamy cheese and prosciutto, perfect with a glass of chianti. Platters of Tuscan and Emilian specialites follow, from another of our favourite market sellers, including Pecorino Toscano, Parmigiano Reggiano (aged for 36 months), Prosciutto di Parma, wild boar salami and finocchiona.
In the indoor part of the market, feast your eyes on handmade pasta, cheese, fish, meat, and poultry. Wander from stand to stand, and sample fresh, local fare. Your tour will end with an Italian-style coffee at a lively indoor bar, close to the market.
- All tastings
- Local English-speaking guide
- Tips and gratuities for your guide
Prepare for the activity
• Children aged 6 to 11 years are permitted on this tour at a child rate, which must be selected when booking
• Children below the age of 6 are permitted on this tour free of charge. Please inform the supplier when booking if you will be bringing a child under 6
• Tours are conducted in small groups of no more than 12 people