Dark Heart of Florence 2-Hour Walking Tour by Night
- This tour will change the way you see Florence forever.
- Walk by the 15th century palace of Palazzo Strozzi
- Learn about the Palazzo di Parte Guelfa, former headquarters of the Guelph party
- Stroll the square of Piazza della Signoria
- Admire the facade of the Galleria degli Uffizi, one of the most famous art museums in the world
- Pass by the shops on the Medieval stone bridge, Ponte Vecchio
- See the grounds of the Renaissance Palazzo Pitti
- Learn about the history of Palazzo di Biana Cappello and admire its sgraffito design
- Stop off at a gelateria at the end of your tour for some authentic Italian gelato
This tour reveals sordid tales of the true Florence of the Medieval Ages, when cutthroat business (sometimes literal) was the name of the game, and protecting your tower home from intruders meant keeping a cauldron of oil always on the boil. It was a time when streets deemed "too dark" were closed as a matter of public safety and traitors were burned, their bodies hung out in public as a warning to all. Hear about the series of events that led to the attempted assassination of the Medici heirs (in a church no less) and the love stories that set medieval Florentine tongues wagging.
For 2 hours, your expert, English-speaking guide will lead you around the city of Florence, uncovering the history hidden behind stone walls. You’ll see Palazzo di Bianca Cappello, a palace built by the Grand Duke for his mistress, and discover the cause of their mysterious deaths, only recently brought to light through the use of modern technology. With Piazza Signoria and Ponte Vecchio on your route, you’ll see some of the most famous sites of Florence, although the stories you hear there and the details you notice will be a lot less well-known. It’s not all treachery and treason though. End your tour on a sweet note with a stop at one of Florence’s best gelaterias, for a gelato of your choice.
Traveling in small groups of 25 people or less, your guide will be easy to interact with and your group small enough to navigate the streets and piazzas of Florence without disturbing the peace. On this original night walking tour, you will experience the city as you would never have seen it otherwise. Florence as it was before the Renaissance – a defensive city of tragic love stories, fatal pride, and feuding families.
- English-speaking tour guide
- Small groups of 25 people or less
- Headsets when appropriate, so you can always hear your guide
- Gelato (1 per person)
- Hotel pick-up/drop off
- Wheelchair users
Prepare for the activity
Meeting time: 19:30 Departure time: 19:45 Meeting point: In front of the Louis Vuitton store in Piazza degli Strozzi Walking from the Duomo: Facing west with your back to the main facade of Duomo, walk to the southwest corner of Piazza del Duomo (the corner to your left) and continue west on Via dei Pecori. Walk 2 blocks (after 1 block, Via dei Pecori will become Via degli Agli) and turn left on Via dei Pescioni. Walk 2 more blocks to Piazza degli Strozzi. The Louis Vuitton store will be on your left.Open in Google Maps ⟶
• Entry to sites visited is not included.
• It is the responsibility of all visitors to be at the meeting point 15 minutes before departure. Guests arriving after departure cannot be accommodated and missed tours or tickets cannot be refunded.
• This tour involves a fair amount of walking. Comfortable shoes are recommended.
• It is impossible to accommodate guests with wheelchairs, strollers or baby carriages, or guests with any impairments requiring special assistance on our group tours.
• Toll free phon number USA/CAN: (+1) 800 358 1942