Cairns: Overnight Great Barrier Reef Pontoon Experience
- Enjoy 2 days and 1 night on the reef
- Snorkel along the reef with instructors, equipment, and rest stations provided
- Join a glass bottom boat and semi-submersible tour for non-swimmers
- Choose from optional activities such as guided snorkeling tours
- Lounge on the spacious sun deck
On the outward journey, there will be marine presentations given by resident marine experts. You can learn about the reef and its diverse ecosystems. Upon arrival at the pontoon at 11:30AM, you will have an array of activities to choose from. They all provide the opportunity to enjoy a truly memorable day, and there are great options for both swimmers and non-swimmers alike.
For those wishing to participate in water activities, snorkeling equipment is included with fins, a mask, a snorkel, and life jackets (wetsuits and lycra suits are available at additional charge). Snorkel rest stations are located throughout the reef for convenience and comfort. Fish feeding presentations occur daily, and the marine experts allow you to see the exotic marine life in action. The glass-bottom boat and semi-submersible tours travel along a scenic route with marine experts providing commentary. This occurs throughout the day and takes approximately 20 minutes. The spacious sun deck is a great spot to take in the panoramic views and soak up the sun, and there is even a theme park style waterslide, which is popular with both kids and kids at heart.
The underwater observatory provides a comfortable and relaxing way to witness the underwater world, which is another alternative for those not wishing to get wet yet still see the reef. The experts present an interactive experience where you are invited to get up close and personal with marine creatures like sea cucumbers and starfish. Those wishing to participate in optional extras, such as guided snorkel tours, introductory or certified diving, or saw walker helmet diving can book these on board.
The day guests will depart at 3.30PM, and you will enjoy the serenity of a small group (18 people maximum) plus the crew. Your crew will serve nibbles at sunset, and cook up a gourmet BBQ which you can enjoy as you watch the sun set over the uninterrupted ocean views. You will then sleep under the stars (weather permitting) in your swag, with all bedding provided.
A morning snorkel and a private guided snorkel tour will kick off your second day at the reef. You will have more time to relax and enjoy the privacy of a small group on the pontoon, before the day guests arrive at 11.30AM. You will depart the pontoon at 3.30PM, and return to Cairns at approximately 5.30PM with the bragging rights of having experienced the reef like very few others get the chance to do.
- Catamaran trip to and from the reef
- Tea and coffee while docked
- Glass-bottom boat and semi-submersible tours
- Underwater observatory and marine touch tank presentation
- Snorkeling with fins, mask, snorkel, and life jacket
- Buffet lunch including fresh prawns
- Special route glass-bottom boat tour
- Private guided snorkel tour
- Swags and all bedding
- All meals
- Guided snorkel tour
- Introductory or certified dive
- Seawalker helmet dive
- Photographs or merchandise
- Alcoholic beverages (must be purchased from the boat prior to its departure from the pontoon)
Prepare for the activity
• The minimum age for diving is 12 years old, and certified divers are required to produce their license card
• There will be head counts and safety demonstrations at scheduled times (you must follow the safety instructions given by the staff at all times)
• It is recommended to bring Australian dollars or a credit card for onboard purchases and optional extras
• Please advise us of any dietary requirements when booking
• Starlight may not operate in adverse weather conditions and may be canceled if deemed necessary (your guide will endeavor to advise passengers as soon as possible)
• Travel sickness tablets are available for purchase on board