From Lisbon: Évora Private Historic Discovery Tour
- Visit the St. Francis Church, more commonly known as the Bone Chapel
- Explore the largest medieval cathedral of Portugal, Sé de Évora
- Discover other smaller hidden secrets of this medieval fortified city
You'll discover the history of the Roman Temple, often incorrectly referred to as the Temple of Diana. You will also enter the famous Sé Cathedral, the largest medieval cathedral of Portugal. It was built between 1186 and 1204 and was only finished to its final beauty in 1250. Your guide will show you the cloister, basilica and then you will go all the way up to the rooftop to have a fantastic birds-eye-view over the whole city. Then you will explore the creepy Bone Chapel, with its carefully arranged skulls and bones of about 5000 people that cover the walls and columns. It is supposed to make visitors reflect on the inevitable facts of life and death. Make sure you look up at the inscription on the entrance, which reads: "We bones that here are, await for yours."
As well as the above sites, you'll also have the chance to stroll along the Giraldo Square and discover many other historic details of this city and see the locals way of life. Not to forget, you should try some of the simple local gastronomic specialties if you get hungry. At the end of the tour, you'll be driven back to Lisbon.
- Pick-up and drop at a meeting point in Lisbon´s center
- Transportation by air-conditioned car or van
- Entrance fees to the Bone Chapel and the Évora Cathedral
- Private guide for your group, who will accompany you inside the monuments and locations
- Any other items not mentioned in the description
- Wheelchair users
Prepare for the activity
• Be sure to bring comfortable shoes, sunscreen, and a camera
• National monuments close on public holidays or on special occasions, without notice
• The sequence of the mentioned places can change according to your wishes or due to weather conditions.