Doubtful Sound Wilderness Cruise Experience from Manapouri
- Enjoy the adventure of getting to Doubtful Sound with no direct road access
- Admire rugged peaks, verdant rainforest and twisting, hidden inlets on a 2.5-hour cruise
- See bottlenose dolphins and fur seals at play or catch a glimpse of a rare Fiordland Crested Penguin
- Marvel at waterfalls cascading into the fiord and luxuriant rainforest that clings to the sheer rock faces
With no direct road access, getting to Doubtful Sound is an adventure in itself! At Manapouri, board a ferry to cruise across Lake Manapouri then enjoy a short coach trip over Wilmot Pass. On reaching Deep Cove, set sail on a 2.5-hour small boat cruise to admire rugged peaks, lush rainforest and twisting, hidden inlets.
Admire the beauty and vastness of the remote fiord as you explore its waterways. Enjoy live commentary from your specialist nature guide and keep a lookout for bottlenose dolphins and fur seals at play or the rare Fiordland Crested Penguin. Lunch options are available for pre-order with complimentary tea and coffee on board.
The mood of the fiord is dominated by the weather – glorious and sparkling on a sunny day, tranquil and mysterious in the mist or dramatic and exciting in the wet as hundreds of waterfalls thunder into the sea. After your cruise, head back over Wilmot Pass by coach and across Lake Manapouri by ferry.
- Return ferry cruise across Lake Manapouri
- Return coach trip over Wilmot Pass
- 2.5-hour Doubtful Sound wilderness cruise
- Live commentary in English by specialist nature guide
- Wildlife viewing including dolphins, fur seals, and even occasionally penguins
- Plenty of indoor and outdoor viewing areas
- Complimentary tea and coffee on board
- Picnic lunch (if option selected when booking)
Prepare for the activity
• The last chance to buy food will be in Te Anau or Manapouri (with very limited options in Manapouri). Bring your own food on the day or select a picnic lunch option when booking.
• Fiordland’s weather is what gives the region its unique character. You should always be prepared to enjoy some rainfall during your visit. Bring sensible clothing for cool and wet weather to fully appreciate your stay.
• The drive to Manapouri is around 2 hours one-way from Queenstown and around 30 minutes one-way from Te Anau.
• Tour is available seasonally from September through to April. (1) departs 7:15 AM and returns at 2:45 PM from December to March. (2) departs 10:00 AM and returns 5:00 PM from September through to April.