Heraklion Bites and Sights 4-Hour Walking Tour
- Hear about Heraklion’s turbulent past and visit its legendary churches, fountains, and monuments
- Discover its lesser-known streets, forgotten alleyways, and old city walls
- Learn the secrets of the Cretan diet by sampling products at a local market
- Indulge in local favorites including a meze platter and raki and tsikoudia
Join this 4-hour walking tour and get to know the city as it is now, but also as it was centuries ago, seeing remnants of occupation by the Byzantines, Arabs, Venetians, Turks, and pirates.
Heading off from Eleftherias Square, also known as Freedom Square, your tour of Heraklion will take you through the lesser-known streets and neighborhoods. Start off with a freshly brewed traditional coffee as you wander through the local market, sampling local products such as barley rusks and olives and cheese, and chatting with shop owners.
Step back in time with a walk atop Heraklion’s great Venetian wall fortifications for some of the best view of the city. Continue along to the tomb and monument of Nikos Kazantzakis, a son of Crete, and discover what inspired him to write Zorba.
Walk along 25 August, the pedestrian street in the heart of the city, admiring some of Heraklion’s major highlights, including St. Titus Cathedral and the Morosini Fountain. Continue along the hidden back streets, where your guide will tell you about the city’s history and point out further evidence of how the city has been shaped over the centuries.
Your Heraklion walking tour will end at a meze tavern, where you’ll finish things off with a drink. Dig in to a meze platter and sip local specialties such as raki and tsikoudia, the island’s famous distilled spirit.
- Local English-speaking guide
- Food and beverage samples as mentioned (rusks, olives, and cheese)
- Coffee or soft drink
- A meze platter
- Additional food and drinks
- Items of a personal nature
- Tips/gratuities for your local guide
Prepare for the activity
Eleftherias Square, in the city center Eleftherias Square is the main square in Heraklion, near the Archaeological Museum, the Astoria Hotel, the Prefecture, and the Gate of Saint George.Open in Google Maps ⟶
• The guide will point out places of interest, such as museums, and make recommendations of places that you can visit on your own time after the tour
• This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge. Please inform at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6 years