Epernay: Full-Day Small Group Tour w/ Moët & Chandon
- Have a Champagne tasting at a family wine maker
- Stroll along the Avenue de Champagne in Epernay
- Understand the idea of 'terroir'
Arriving in the Champagne region, start your day with the Scenic Route du Champagne of the Marne area. It meanders among the vineyards and picturesque villages such as Cumières and Damery, offering a charming bucolic landscape. You will receive all the keys needed to understand the idea of 'terroir' and hear all about the work being done in the fields. Making good Champagne always starts with good grapes. You will, of course, discover the village of Hautvillers and meet a prestigious figure - Dom Pérignon. He is the one who finalized the process to elaborate Champagne. He contributed a great deal to the fame of Champagne and is now buried in the church of the former Benedictine Abbey of Hautvillers. Stroll along the Avenue de Champagne in Epernay located in the heart of town. Learn why Epernay is internationally known as the "Capital of Champagne." Epernay’s stunning main street appears like an exhibition of opulent mansions housing the most illustrious Maisons de Champagne such as Moët & Chandon, Perrier-Jouet, Mercier, etc. and not to mention the 100 kilometers of tunnels under the pavement.
Take a guided tour and tasting at Moët & Chandon Grande Maison in Epernay. Founded in 1743 by Claude Möet, it became, over 40 years ago, the first international brand in the world. Its history is linked to some famous figures such as the Marquise de Pompadour and Napoleon I. This Champagne is also sold to many important historical and present day evenings such as King Edwards VII’s coronation, the Cannes Film Festival, the 120th anniversary of the Liberty Statue and so forth.
At the Champagne tasting lunch, you will be introduced to local specialties which will be assorted with different sorts of Champagne (blanc de blancs, blancs de noir and rosé) at a boutique winery. In the afternoon, enjoy the discovery of another face of Champagne with a tour and Champagne tasting at a family estate. Among the Grandes Maisons de Champagne, more than 4,000 family wine makers contribute to the prestige of Champagne and maintain the tradition from generation to generation. Return at 05:00 PM to Reims Train Station forecourt.
- Transportation in a comfortable full options minivan for 8 passengers
- English-speaking guide
- Entrance fees and tastings at Moët & Chandon and a Family Champagne estate
- Avenue des Champagne tour
- Dom Perignon with Hautvillers stop
- Champagne tasting lunch with drinks
- Wineries and family estates may change according to their availability
- Additional drinks and meals
- Train tickets
Prepare for the activity
• Tasting of 7 Champagnes
• All-inclusive day tour
• Please note, for people staying in Epernay, there is a train that leaves Reims train station at 5:35 PM and arrives in Epernay at 6:10 PM
• Other trains are available
• Please note that the guided tour of the Grandes Maisons de Champagne will be done in English only
• Pickup is at 9:00 AM from Reims Train Station forecourt (Monday, Wednesday and Friday)
• This tour is available from March 1 to December 21
• Please note that your guide can lead the tour in a maximum of 2 languages per minivan
• Please note that according to the availability, Moet & Chandon could be replaced by Mercier or De Castellane