Biarritz, Bayonne, and Basque Country: Private Driving Tour
- Learn about the fascinating Basque culture
- Explore traditional Basque towns
- Drive along the Corniche Basque coast with its stunning views
First, drive to Ciboure, Socoa, and along the Corniche Basque. The road is on top of this magnificent stretch of cliffs and coastline and leads south from the Vauban Fort of Socoa to Hendaye on the Spanish border. Next, veer away from the coast and up into the foothills of the Pyrenees, towards the lovely French Basque mountain town of Ainhoa. After Ainhoa, head to Espellette, a Basque town with traditional colors and architecture. The houses have a special decoration, they’re covered with garlands of red peppers.
Then it's time to leave Espelltte and drive to Saint Jean Pied-de-Port. This medieval fortified city is still surrounded by a parapet wall, and plays an important role for pilgrims. It’s the last stop in France along the Camino de Santiago de Compostella. After visiting these mountain towns, return to the Atlantic coast to visit Biarritz; before returning to Saint Jean de Luz or the point of departure.
- Private, multilingual driver/guide
- Tolls, parking fees, fuel charges
- Entrance fees for castles, museums, etc