Berlin: Highlights of Berlin Walking Tour
- Take a fascinating walking tour through Berlin’s history including the Brandenburg Gate, Checkpoint Charlie, the Holocaust Memorial
- Discover the history of Berlin and see where President Reagan spoke the famous words: 'Mr Gorbachev, tear down this wall!'
- Learn how Berlin has transformed itself from the city divided in two blocks into a united capital of Germany
Since the return of the German capital to Berlin nothing has stayed the same, and what has resulted is the largest construction effort in modern history! Berlin truly is a city at the crossroads of a turbulent past, while in the process of forging an optimistic future. As the New Europe gravitates back towards its center, Berlin prepares to play the role of gateway between the East and West – this time as a European metropolis.
Beginning your adventure in the heart of Cold War West Berlin's capitalist heart, visit the looming spire of the Memorial Church, and see the impressive Victory Column from the train to the East. This amazing spot marks the birthplace of the German nation. Arrive in the East to Hackescher Markt and hear all about the former Jewish Quarter. See Museum Island and get the scoop on the best times to visit the museums.
Pass over the line of the Death Strip to the exact location above Hitler's Bunker and under the Brandenburg Gate, the symbol of a reunited Berlin. Then, take a moment to reflect at the Memorial for the Murdered Jews of Europe, before walking through the intersection of Checkpoint Charlie.
The tour ends with an account of the momentous events that led to the fall of the Berlin Wall, while standing amidst the heart of the East German Government Quarter and the New Berlin. Get a glimpse into what it´s like living in the New Berlin, where East and West are no boundaries.
- Guided tour
- Tickets for public transportation (to reach the meeting point)
Prepare for the activity
Tours at 10:30 AM and 2:00 PM start at meeting point East: In front of 'AM to PM' bar/restaurant at S Hackescher Markt train station. Am Zwirngraben 4, 10178 Berlin. As of April 1st 2020, tours will meet outside Friedrichstr. train station, on the square beside the 'Traenenpalast' (Palace of Tears), Reichstagufer 17, 10117 Berlin.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Comfortable shoes
• You can join the Insider Famous Walk at either their meeting point East or West
• From 1 April to 31 October there is also an afternoon tour, departing from the West meeting point at 1:30 PM and the East meeting point at 2:00 PM
• Please wear comfortable shoes as the tour involves a lot of walking
• As of April 1st 2020, tours will meet outside Friedrichstr. train station, on the square beside the 'Traenenpalast' (Palace of Tears), Reichstagufer 17, 10117 Berlin