Banff: 3-Day Mystic Valley Backcountry Tent Trip by Horse
- Experience the thrill of horseback riding through Banff's backcountry with a guide
- Relax in backcountry comfort in A-frame canvas tents on a raised wooden platform with plenty of rustic Old West charm
- Enjoy stunning, unobstructed views of the Rocky Mountains along the trail
Start the trip at the stables in Banff where you will meet your trusty horse, specifically picked for you. Even if you have no experience, you'll be matched with a mild-mannered horse and be taught everything you need to know. You’ll be surprised at how quickly you gain confidence in the saddle. All the horses are steady, responsive, and can be counted on to cross any terrain, from forest paths to boulder-strewn creeks.
Mount up for the ride to Mystic Valley Camp where you will spend the night. Along the way, there will be a stop for delicious trailside lunch along 40 Mile Creek. Immerse yourself in the serene backcountry of Bannf. Arrive at the campsite in the afternoon, and settle into your comfortable tent. In the evening, the cook will whip up a feast of hearty, homemade cowboy cuisine and you'll gather around in the main kitchen tent, which acts as the communal hub of the camp. Relax around the crackling fire to watch the stars and share stories. Then, it’s time to curl up in your sleeping bag in your canvas tent with on your cot and thermarest and get some sleep.
After a hearty ranch-style breakfast, mount up for a stunning day ride to Mystic Pass or Mystic Lake. Spend another full day on the trail and a cowboy trail lunch will be served along the way at one of these spectacular vistas, so you can sit and enjoy while admiring the mountain views. After a full day of exploring, you’ll arrive back at Mystic Valley Camp to settle back into your comfortable, familiar heated tent for the night - after another tasty camp dinner.
Arise early and say goodbye to your pristine backcountry surroundings, it’s time to head back into Banff and rejoin civilisation, and leave the isolated, tranquil beauty of this off-the-beaten-track spot. Top off the trip with a leisurely 9-mile ride along 40 Mile Creek back to Banff, stopping for lunch along the way. Return to Banff at approximately at 5:00 PM, with plenty of wild Banff backcountry stories to tell.
- 2 nights accommodation at Mystic Valley Camp
- Fully catered menu
- A friendly horse for every rider
- Basic horseback riding instruction
- Trail fees
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- National Park Entry Fee
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- Transportation to/from the stables
- Children under 9 years
- Pregnant women
Prepare for the activity
Warner Stables is the big red stables located at the end of Sundance Road in Banff. When you arrive, please check-in for your ride at the office in the east barn which has signs for ‘Warner Stables’ and ‘office’. The stables are located approximately a five minute drive or a 20 minute walk from downtown Banff, and there is plenty of free parking at the site.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Insect repellent
- Open-toed shoes
- Unaccompanied minors
• There’s free parking at the stables and you’re welcome to leave your vehicle here during the trip
• There is no electricity, WiFi, or cell service along the trail
• Riders must be physically capable of controlling the horse
• The minimum age is 9 years; children can not be paired with an adult – they must ride their own horse
• Helmets are mandatory to be worn by all backcountry riders under 18 years of age
• Children aged 15 years and under must have someone 18 years and older with them at all times
• Adults must sign a waiver for all activities, and a waiver must also be completed by the parent or legal guardian of any person under the age of 18 (documentation may be required to confirm the signatory’s authority)
• Minimum drinking age is 18 years