Colors of Ayutthaya: UNESCO Heritage 6 hour Bicycle Tour
- Cycle through the countryside of Ayutthaya to see the ruins of the old capital
- Go to Wat Mahathat with its famous Buddha head entwined within the roots of a tree
- Visit a local elementary school (if open) and interact with the children
- Enjoy a delicious Thai lunch at a local restaurant
- See the 3 distinctive pagodas of Wat Phra Si Sanphet
- Marvel at the large Buddha statue at Wat Lokayasutharam
- Admire one of the most impressive temples in Ayutthaya at Wat Chaiwatthanaram
Tours run daily from 10:00 and follow the road in a northern direction. Ride through idyllic villages and alongside rice paddies. Visit a local elementary school (if open) to interact with the children.
Continue the ride and pass Phaniat Royal Elephant Kraal. During Ayutthaya’s heyday this structure was used to entrap wild elephants herded down from the north. The elephant round-ups in the Elephant Kraal were traditionally presided over by Ayutthaya kings who would choose the best and strongest elephants that would be trained for war and labor.
The closer you get to the old capital the more temple ruins you will see. At around 12:30, stop for a Thai lunch at a riverside restaurant. Then enter the old capital to visit Wat Mahathat and Wat Pra Sri Sanphet. Learn the history of Ayutthaya and its temples and kings.
Next take a short ride to a local market to see typical local baked and fried delicacies. Continue to the huge reclining Buddha statue at Luang Phor Lokayasuttha. Marvel at the largest Buddha statue in Ayutthaya. Then pedal on to the beautiful temple of Wat Chai Wattanaram on the west banks of the Chao Phraya River. This remarkable temple was constructed in 1630 by King Prasat Thong as a memorial of his mother's residence in the area.
Continue along the west bank of the Chao Phraya River until your reach the pier. Cross the river to return to the city and reach the end of the tour.
- Bike rental and helmet
- Boat crossing
- Drinking water
- Thai lunch at a local restaurant
- Entrance fees at Wat Mahathat, Wat Phra Sri Sanphet and Wat Chai Wattanaram
- Tips (optional)
Prepare for the activity
The meeting point/office is located near to Ayutthaya train station. Walk north from the train station and pass a temple on your left hand side (approximately 5 minutes from the office/meeting point).Open in Google Maps ⟶
• Cancellations are free of charge up to 48 hours before the tour. Cancellations between 24 and 48 hours are subject to a 50% cancellation fee. Cancellations less than 24 hours, and no shows, are subject to a 100% cancellation fee