From Athens: Trip to Meteora by Train with Overnight Stay
- Take a train through the mainland of Greece and reach Meteora
- Admire a unique in the world geological formation, which also belongs to UNESCO's world heritage sites
- Discover the beauty and the biodiversity of Greek countryside
- Enjoy two guided tours on the Meteora rocks and see all six unique monasteries
- Explore the town of Kalambaka and pay a visit to area's museums
Pickup from the train station and drive to the hotel where you will be picked up at 2 PM and have the sunset tour. See all the six monasteries, a hermitage, and a Byzantine church so you will be immersed in the history of the area. Afterward, at around 5 PM you will be transferred to your hotel. Now you have free time to spend exploring Kalambaka. Find excellent museums including the National History Museum and Digital Projection Centre of Meteora. Wander every corner of the city and discover restaurants to taste the excellent local cuisine.
The next day, choose to take either the midday Monastery tour or the hiking in Meteora tour. After your activity, you will be driven back to the center of Kalabaka and you will have over an hour to spend under the shadow of the giant rocks either having lunch or a coffee or whatever you wish. You will then be given all the necessary information of how to catch the train back to Athens. The train journey is 4 hours long so please bring a book or be prepared to talk to other passengers.
- Round trip economy train ticket between Athens and Kalampaka, which can be upgraded on request
- Accommodation in a 3-star hotel with breakfast, which can be upgraded to 4-star on request
- Engish-speaking tour leader
- Bottle of water
- Wi-Fi on board
- All taxes and services
- Pick up or drop-off in Athens
- Entrance fees to the monasteries, which are €3 per person
- Entrance fee to the Byzantine Church, which is €2 per person
- Lunch or dinner
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel tax (between 1,5 and 4 €, to be paid on site)
Prepare for the activity
Important: you must take the train yourself from the Central Railway Station of Athens (Stathmos Larissis) at 7:00 AM, departing for Kalambaka. Your guide will meet you holding a sign with your name on at the main entrance of Kalambaka Train Station, Kondili 59, Lárisa 412 22.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Sleeveless shirts
- Alcohol and drugs
• You will travel by train on your own and will meet the group at the Kalabaka train station; the guide will help you check in at the hotel
• There is a maximum of 13 people for the tour on Meteora. Children under 3 years old go free if they share a seat with their parent on the minibus.
• The guide will give you information about the monasteries but will not escort you into them
• Due to local regulations, you must pay a hotel tax (between €1.50 and €4) at the hotel
• At the monasteries men must wear trousers and a t-shirt or a shirt with sleeves and women must wear a long skirt (trousers and skirts are usually provided)
• Please be ready and wait at the reception area at least 10 minutes before the appointment time
• Credit cards are not accepted for paying the monastery's entrance fees
• Animals are not allowed to enter the monasteries.