Akaroa Harbour 2-Hour Nature Cruise
- Take in the majestic scenery of Akaroa Harbour on a 2-hour nature cruise
- Discover an array of fascinating local wildlife including penguins and seals
- Admire Hector's dolphins in the wild - one of the world's rarest and smallest dolphins found only in New Zealand
- Learn about Akaroa's fascinating historic past via engaging commentary from your experienced and local skipper
Travel on a modern catamaran, which is perfect for viewing the natural wonders of Akaroa Harbour. There's lots of room on the two decks for unimpeded viewing and plenty of covered seating for shade and shelter. Inside, for your convenience you'll find a bar and washrooms. Each cruise is fully narrated by your skipper who has extensive knowledge of the nature, wildlife and the history of the harbour.
As Akaroa Harbour was a live volcano millions of years ago, there are many spectacular ancient lava flows to be seen. One cliff has a sheer 500-foot face and a fascinating history, while Nikau Palm Gully is the southernmost limit for these tropical palm trees. There is also the incredible Scenery Nook, an amazing pink, purple and red volcanic amphitheater that will take your breath away.
- 2-hour nature cruise
- Engaging commentary in English
- Complimentary tea and coffee
Prepare for the activity
Main Wharf, Akaroa, New Zealand. Akaroa is located around 80 to 90-minutes drive from Christchurch city and Christchurch International airport. It is an easy drive in a car through New Zealand farmland and then over the stunning Banks Peninsula hills to Akaroa. Cruise ship passengers will disembark directly onto the main wharf in Akaroa.Open in Google Maps ⟶
• Passengers in wheelchairs are welcome aboard with able body companions. Proper ramps enable you to get on and off the catamaran with ease. Note that the toilets on board are not wheelchair friendly
• Wear warm clothing as even on warm days, there may be a cool sea breeze blowing
• Bring your camera plus sunscreen and a hat, even if it’s cloudy